Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Lab 4 - Introducing ArcGIS





My experience with ArcGIS was generally great! I really liked getting to know the program and seeing the variety of tools that could be used. For example, creating the road as well as displaying the same thing in different ways really interested me.
ArcGIS did have a few drawbacks, though. I was using ArcMap 10 when I think the tutorial was made for an older version of ArcMap. Therefore, it took me a while to find some of the tools and buttons, and I never found ArcCatelog. In addition, I feel like it will take me a long time to really get to know the program. There is so much that you can do with it that sometimes it gets confusing what steps I should take to get to the final result.
GIS has the potential to be used in every field imaginable because of its diversity and range of use. It can be helpful in determining so many things regarding distribution, location, and relationships. GIS will likely become a staple in companies and even in lower-level education.
The pitfalls of GIS include its complicated nature. Unless, like this lab, you are given step by step instructions on how to make map and how to manipulate the data, it will take a while to learn how to do it on your own. This can make it difficult to make GIS available to the masses as a viable form of analyzing data.

No comments:

Post a Comment